So we all have them - a Facebook account, a Twitter account, a LinkedIn account, etc. The question is, how do we use them to our advantage?
Yes, we can post our mood swings, write about our dog dying, or even share links from the NY Times, but what else can we do? Here are some tricks that I have picked up in this new social networking twilight zone:
- Use sites like Twitter and LinkedIn to follow influential people with careers that you want. It's great to follow celebrities and see what they're up to on a daily basis, but how does that help you? Well, I guess it does if you blog about them. If you don't, try following people that you aspire to be like. For example, I like following entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and day traders. They provide a different prospective as to what it happening in the markets. I can use their insights to formulate my own opinions.
- Social networking sites are a great way to keep in touch with old collegues and managers. While it's great asking your best friend from college how many shots he took at his crazy birthday party, it's also a great way to remind professionals you're actively searching for a job. Remember though, if you contact managers through Facebook or Twitter, untag those body shot pictures.
Follow people who will help you go where you need to go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment