Friday, April 24, 2009

That's Right - I Just Got Hired!

About 20 days until the Class of 2009 throws their caps in the air and catches their diplomas in return. While talking to some of these 2009 graduates, I learned that many of them don't have jobs lined up. They're returning to the cozy home of their parents to...umm...play PS3?

As much we know you love your parents, let's fix this situation. Here are some tricks that helped me land not one, but two jobs - yes, even in this economy.
  • While you're boozing through the night and hungover in the weeks leading up to graduation, post your resume everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. Post it on job sites (Monster, Yahoo Hot Jobs, CareerBuilder, Craigslist)
  • Pass your resume around to family members -send them a quick email thanking them for their support through your college years. Tell them how excited you are to graduate and enter the real world. Ask them to refer you to anyone the might know that can help you get your foot in the door.
    Visit your career center!I know this is the last thing on your mind with the senior festivities coming up, but make one last visit before you leave campus. Make friends with a career advisor. Tell them how you don't have a job lined up and wanted to leave your resume with them.
    ***Contact them every few weeks to follow-up!!!
  • Put Facebook aside for a while and create a profile on LinkedIn and Monster.com
    The job I have right now found me. I didn't even apply to the position. A recruiter called me, interviewed me on the phone, and within 20 minutes I had a job. Lucky? Maybe. But those profiles really help.
  • Most importantly, keep networking. Make friends with everyone right now. Once the economy picks up these people are your primary resource.

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment