Monday, April 20, 2009

Negotiate, Negotiate, and Negotiate Some More

With commencement weekend (shout out to Terriers 09) only weeks away, the number one thing on the minds of many proud graduates, besides nights of boozing, is having to pay for things on our own! Gas, rent, credit cards...too many things to count!

If you take away anything from this reading, I want you to remember this: negotiate everything. I used to hate it, until I started running low on cash. Once I started negotiating for everything (literally everything), I couldn't turn back. It has become a way of life.

Here's an example:
Credit Cards - we all have them and we all loathe paying for them. Especially those crazy APR rate and unnecessary fees! Well, let's get rid of them!

Here's how:
Call your credit card company. Tell them you noticed you're being charged fees that you don't want to be charged.
"Hi Visa. I noticed I was being charge extra fees on my credit card. Could I please have these removed?"
"We can't remove these fees. They are standard with all of our cards"
"Well, I just called American Express to open a card and they don't have any fees"
"I just spoke to my manger - those fees have been removed"

Don't believe that it works? Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment